- Always pay attention to the washing instructions and try to use the most gentle liquid detergent possible. For the cleanest results, don’t overload your machine (keep it two-thirds full)
- Turn items inside out before washing to help protect the fabric’s colour and to prevent any embroidery or detailing catching on other items in the wash.
- Avoid washing cotton bed linens with other fabrics like polyester, to prevent pilling (formation of tiny balls of matter particles of fibre on the surface).
- Where possible, either line dry or tumble dry on low heat until slightly damp (over-drying is the biggest way to shorten the life of your linen).
- Try rotating your sheets with a set in the cupboard, a set on the bed and a set in the wash so that no one set receives more wear than another.
- Ironing bed linen is always simpler and faster when it is still slightly damp.
Dotmaison.com June 4th, 2009
Posted In: Top Tips